Sunday, March 8, 2015

With spring comes exciting things

Well, I think spring is finally on its way. Daylight savings time began this weekend, and I can hear the birds chirping in the morning now. I can't tell you how happy I am for the seasons to be changing. We have gotten a lot of snow this winter, and I am so ready for the warmer weather, less snow, blooming gardens, and all of the other wonderful things that spring has to offer. I am excited to be able to get outside to exercise and spend time in the fresh air with my little boy. Last spring Jacob was so young and I was so new to motherhood that I didn't get a chance to get out and enjoy it much.

A few exciting things are happening for me this spring. The first one is running. I am trying to get back into shape and lose the last 20 pounds of baby weight. I have been working on my weight loss slowly and steadily all winter, and now I want to make the final push. I took up running a few years ago and really loved what it did for my body and mind. I felt so good when I was running, physically and mentally. I was so happy, and I looked forward to that alone time to just run and get my thoughts organized. I was unable to continue running through the winter that year so unfortunately I lost momentum and didn't continue with it.

This winter I have been anxious to get back into running. I have been thinking about it and scheming about when I will begin, and how I will do it this year. What worked for me before was using the "Couch 2 5 K" program. Although I plan on using that program again this spring, recently I have also been reading a book called See Mom Run that was given to me by my fitness program coach. The book has been extremely motivational and inspiring, and the more I think about running, the more excited I feel. I have been waiting for the snow and ice to clear up before I begin.

Last week our local sports store had a sale on sneakers, so I went in and bought two pair. Afterwards I drove around a few places in the area to scope out a nice safe stretch of pavement or sidewalk where I could begin my running. The local industrial park has clear, dry pavement so I decided that's where I would begin. This past week I have started up my running program again, and have already completed the first week of Couch 2 5 K. I can't wait to continue running into the spring and summer, with the ultimate goal of being able to run the harvest marathon 5K on Thanksgiving weekend. It is a local marathon that is quite popular in our area with different types of races: 5K, 10K, half marathon and full marathons. I completed the 5K a few years ago and enjoyed it so much. When I crossed the finish line, the high I felt was unlike anything I have experienced before. I have to admit, I did get a bit emotional and teared up as I crossed the finish line. Running is something I never thought I would ever be able to do, and I had done it. I'm looking forward to enjoying that feeling again.

Another exciting thing that I am working on this spring is a few different bath and body products to distribute to the local naturopath clinic. This past winter I made an assortment of bath and body products for my friends for Christmas gifts. There were different types of scrubs, lotions, and bath melts that I made in the kitchen. They were all natural, with minimal ingredients, and had no harsh or unsafe chemicals. I was really proud of the products I had created and my friends loved their gifts. When I saw my naturopath recently for an appointment, I told her about the products I had created and she was enthusiastic and very interested. She mentioned that she would love to use those kinds of products in office for treatments as well as have them on hand to sell at the office. I gave it some thought, and I have decided to make and sell the products to her for use in the clinic. I am really excited about this – it would be a great new hobby, and a nice way to make a little bit of extra income on the side. I have been checking over my ingredient lists and doing a cost analysis to see if it is feasible and what kind of profit margin I could make. I'll keep you posted on how it works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment