Thursday, January 22, 2015

Introducing Jacob to food

When Jacob was six months old, we introduced him to food. I had read a lot about various methods and was debating between starting with purées or baby led weaning (BLW). I began with purées and now that he is almost 10 months old, have started to veer toward BLW. This week I wanted to try something new for Jacob so we walked to the produce store and I picked up some broccoli and bananas for him to try.
When we got home, I began researching how I could prepare and present the broccoli to him, and I stumbled upon a recipe on one of my favourite baby food websites. It incorporated wonton wrappers that were stuffed with different fillings. So I began to prepare the recipe but ultimately ended up making my own creation. I created two different types of wontons for Jacob to try: broccoli, and banana.

For the banana wontons, I prepared a filling of softened cream cheese, mashed banana, and ginger. For the broccoli wontons, I combined fresh, steamed broccoli (which I puréed with a hand blender), cream cheese, and curry powder.
Cream cheese purées before mixing
I stuffed the wonton wrappers with a tablespoon of filling and pinched the edges together to seal them. I I placed the packets into a muffin tray and brushed them lightly with melted butter. Then I popped the trays in the oven at 375° for 15 minutes.
Raw wonton packages before baking
When the wonton wrappers were golden brown at the tips, I removed them from the oven.
Crispy wonton bites!
I lifted the wontons out of the tray and placed them on a wire rack.
On the rack to cool
The banana packets had a nice banana flavour but were a bit bland. The broccoli packets were extremely delicious. We ended up eating most of them as they were cooling, so there were only a couple left for Jacob to try. They were his favourite too. 
The banana recipe could be modified for adults by adding a sprinkle of sugar and cinnamon.

No comments:

Post a Comment