Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Storm day muffins

 When I was young, my mother used to bake with us on storm days. My parents were teachers so when we had the day off from school, our parents did too. 
When I heard a storm was forecast for this week, I started reviewing my recipes. What could be cozier than enjoying a freshly baked muffin or cookie while cocooned in a warm house on a cold day? Since I am still on maternity leave I don't have to worry about leaving the house to go to work, and we have nothing planned for the rest of this week.

The weather forecast was right. When I got up, a lot of snow had fallen. 

Most of it was blowing and drifting around the house and garage, sneaking into nooks and crevices.
The perfect pyramid shape.
Snow drifts are so pretty, don't you think?
 Even Emma was excited about the snow.

When Jacob woke up from his morning nap, we had egg salad sandwiches for lunch. It was Jacob's first time trying a sandwich and he enjoyed pulling the triangles of bread apart and holding one tringle while eating the other. After he finished his dessert of smushed blueberries, I put him up on my back in our Pavo Unicornio wrap and got to work in the kitchen. 

We made a batch of muffins for Jacob and a batch for Josh and I to enjoy. Jacob's muffins were mini banana and raisin muffins (from Little Grazers) which I chose because they are small, include fruit in the recipe, and have no added sugar or salt. I made them with white flour today as we are out of whole wheat but in the future I will likely use whole wheat flour. The recipe doesn't call for it, but I sprinkled a teaspoon of ground flax seed in before mixing up the batter.
The perfect size for tiny hands
For the bigger, adult-size muffins, we baked a batch of lemon blueberry muffins (from Silver Boxes). I have made this recipe before after finding it on pinterest. These muffins are the most amazing lemon blueberry muffins I have ever tasted. They include a lemon butter and sugar topping and have the perfect lemon/blueberry flavour. To make the topping, while the muffins are still warm you dip them into a mixture of melted butter and freshly squeezed lemon juice and then dunk them into white sugar. The soft crunch you experience from the lemon butter sugar topping when you bite into these muffins is extraordinary.

I made these muffins once while a friend was home in NS visiting and when she got home she messaged me for the recipe as she could not stop thinking about them.

Yes, they're that good.
My mouth is watering just thinking about that topping.
 If you got as much snow today as we did, I hope you were able to enjoy a snow day at home!

No comments:

Post a Comment